About Unfinished Loops, Emotional Urgency, and Learning to Let Go

Introduction

Some things never fully leave you: a song you played on repeat, a place where you had a perfect afternoon, a conversation that ended before it could really finish. There are moments that sit quietly in the background, resurfacing when you least expect them. Sometimes they fade. Other times, they return with full intensity, demanding attention long after you thought you had moved on.

I have always felt things deeply. When I connect with someone, I absorb the details: the way their voice changes when they are excited, the way their expressions shift when they are thinking, the small habits they don’t even realise they have. My memories are built from these fragments, and once they are there, they don’t easily disappear.

For a long time, I assumed everyone experienced emotions this way, but I have learned that not everyone carries the past so vividly. Some people process feelings more gradually. Some don’t revisit moments in high definition. Some are able to let things go naturally, without needing to make sense of them first.

I have spent years trying to understand why I hold on so tightly, and now I finally see it for what it is: the way my brain is wired, shaped by my experiences and the way I process the world around me. But understanding this does not always make it easier. There is still a part of me that struggles with not knowing where I stand. When a connection feels uncertain, my instinct is to seek clarity. I want to know where things are going. I want to understand what the other person feels. If there is distance, I want to close the gap before it grows too wide


The Urgency of Emotion and the Fear of Fading Connections

Living with ADHD means that emotions do not arrive gently: they show up with intensity, demanding immediate attention. When I care about someone, it feels natural to express it fully. When I am excited about something, I want to experience it without hesitation. When I feel uncertain, I want clarity as soon as possible. My emotions exist in the present, pulling me in completely.

This urgency has allowed me to form deep connections. I live in the details, in the unspoken moments, in the energy between words. But I have also learned that not everyone moves at the same pace. Some people take longer to process emotions. Some prefer to let things unfold slowly. Some do not even realise the depth of what they have been given until much later.

I used to see this difference as a problem as if I were feeling too much or moving too quickly. But I also recognise that sometimes, I seek connection in ways that others may not need in the same way. I notice when the rhythm of a relationship shifts, when a text takes longer to arrive, when the energy feels different. My instinct is to fix it: to close the gap, to re-establish warmth, to make sure everything is okay.

But sometimes, things are not slipping away; sometimes, they are just settling into a more natural rhythm. And sometimes, even if a connection is fading, chasing after it will not bring it back.


Letting Go of the Need for Answers

One of the hardest things for me has been learning to sit with uncertainty. My mind craves resolution. If something feels unclear, I want to talk about it. If someone is distant, I want to understand why. If a connection feels unresolved, I want to close the loop. But life does not always offer that kind of certainty.

Not everyone processes emotions as quickly as I do. Not everyone feels the same urgency to name things, to define them, to solidify where we stand. Some people take more time, some need space to figure things out, and some simply move differently than I do. That does not mean they care any less. It just means their emotions unfold at a different speed.

I have learned that not every silence is rejection. Not every unanswered message means something is wrong. Not every delay means a connection is slipping away.

I am learning that I do not need to seek closure for everything. Some things will remain open-ended. Some relationships will shift in ways I cannot control. Some questions will never be fully answered.

This does not mean I stop caring. It means I trust that what is meant to stay will stay, and what needs to fade will do so in its own time. I do not need to force anything into place. If something is right, it will find a way to fit naturally.


Finding Peace in My Own Way of Feeling

I have spent a long time trying to adjust my emotions to fit what I thought was expected of me. I have held back, slowed down, or tried to rationalise feelings that were meant to be felt freely. But doing so only ever made me feel disconnected from myself.

Now, I am learning to embrace my emotions without letting them control me. I can still feel things deeply while allowing space for things to unfold. I can still care without expecting an immediate response. I can still want clarity without needing everything to be resolved at once.

There are still unfinished loops in my life, but I no longer feel the need to close all of them. Some will resolve with time, others will fade, and a few may always linger in the background. But I trust that whatever stays will do so for a reason.

For now, I focus on what I can control: how I show up, how I honour my own emotions, and how I choose to move forward. Everything else will unfold as it is meant to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What the Pandemic, a Nature Retreat, and ADE Left Behind: A Dance Between Solitude and Connection

From Nice to Kind: An ISFP’s Journey Toward Authenticity